Saturday, December 17, 2011

Trial and Sentencing...

Last Saturday started out like every other normal day. I got up, fed the kids breakfast, jumped in the shower, threw my clothes on and hair in a ponytail, kissed everyone good bye, then went to work. 2 hours later I was crying on the floor in the bathroom, calling my husband to come pick me up and take me to the hospital. The culprit? Contractions. Nasty, painful, CLOSE contractions. No problem, right? I mean, I'm pregnant, I've had kids before, and it is now Baby Time! A time to be excited and happy, right? No. I am only 27 weeks along. We get to the hospital, and I'm thinking they are going to just give me a shot of something, calm me down, and send me home. Nope. I get to stay FIVE FREAKING DAYS hooked up to IVs, getting blood drawn every 4 hours, and getting highly painful steroid shots to help boost my baby girl's chances of survival if they can't stop my pre-term labor. It made me laugh every time the nurses tried to tell me to just take a deep breath and relax. REALLY??? Relax while I am being hooked up to 5 different machines, being poked every 4 hours, and being pumped full of several highly uncomfortable pharmaceuticals?? I jokingly told one of the nurses that the only way I could relax at that point was if they prescribed me something for that as well. Next thing I know, she's bringing in another syringe and I start feeling pretty relaxed....
I was stuck in bed for 3 days. I did not get up once. Not to shower, go to the bathroom, anything. The last two days I was able to go to the bathroom, but nothing else, and that is my sentence for the remainder of my pregnancy. Most moms would faint from excitement if they were told they COULDN'T touch a dish, shirt, broom, mop, vacuum, or any other form of cleaning utensil/cooking instrument for an undetermined amount of time. I was a little excited at first. Then reality sunk in...if I don't do it, who will? Poor Dan already has to figure out picking up and dropping off the kids from school, clean, go Christmas shopping (yeah...we hadn't done any of that yet), and now he has to take care of the house as well. Then my kids jumped in my head. I have a 5 and 4 year old. How the %$!@ am I supposed to keep both kids fed, clothed, and occupied during the day if I can't even get up to make them a sandwich or fold a shirt? I think I started having a panic attack at that point, because the nurse walked in with another one of my favorite little syringes...
Anyway, I have been home for 2 days now, and I am going freaking insane. My kids have discovered that I can't run after them or even check on them when they are in the other room. I am DONE with the T.V, I have almost finished crocheting a baby blanket, and I have read every book I have available. And they are hoping to keep me in this state for TEN WEEKS. I started thinking "what the heck can I do to save my sanity and the lives of the rest of my family while I am confined to the bed/couch?" I thought of looking up some blogs, and then I thought "Shoot, I'll just make my own blog with things that work for me." This gets me out of my head a bit, and gives me something to do. I highly doubt anyone will find this entertaining or even helpful, but at this point, this is about saving MY sanity. If it helps someone else out, great. I'd love feed back. Anyway, that is the purpose and history behind this blog, and I will share my experiences and ideas as they come to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment